Archive for the 'Linux' Category

Vim: transparent editing of gpg encrypted files

The script gnupg.vim written by Markus Braun implements transparent editing of gpg encrypted files with the highly configurable text editor Vim. For those who don’t know: Vim is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems. The filename must have a ".gpg", ".pgp" or ".asc" suffix. When opening such a file the content is decrypted, when opening a new file the script will ask for the recipients of the encrypted file. The file content will be encrypted to all recipients before it is written. The script turns off viminfo and swapfile to increase security. More details and download: gnupg.vim.

Updated Linux pages today

On January 15, 2010 I checked LinuxBasis.org and Linux-drivers.org for broken links with Checkbot. After studying checkbot’s report today (Jan 18, 2010), I replaced/corrected the URLs that changed the target and removed all the remained dead links.

Nevertheless if you find a link that doesn’t work or leads to another content than specified please feel free to notify me by sending an email.

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Storing User JavaScript files for Opera

Some days ago I installed Flashblock for Opera on my Debian Lenny system. There’s a User JavaScript version avalable (by A. Ruzanov): FlashBlock.js. Here’s a short description how to store User JavaScript files on GNU/Linux:

1. Create a directory for storing User JavaScript files, for instance ~/.opera/userjs.
2. In Opera go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Content -> JavaScript Options. Add the location of your newly created script directory to “My JavaScript files“.
3. cp flashblocker.js ~/.opera/userjs/


Google Chrome: Reducing High Disk and CPU Activity

As Google released their first beta of the Google Chrome Browser for Linux on December 8th 2009, I tried it out on my Debian Lenny system. Google Chrome is fast, lightweight, … but … I was bothered by occasional periods of high hard disk and CPU activity, which could last for a minute or two. I was searching around in the web and found a solution (for me*): Disabling the ‘Enable phishing and malware protection‘ (‘Options‘ -> ‘Details‘ ->  ‘[ ] Enable phishing and malware protection‘) solved the problem completely, and Chrome is now very light on CPU and Disk usage. 🙂

*  Of course, disabling a security feature is at your own risk. But in my case it was a matter of being able to use Google Chrome at all.